A few tips to succeed at HSC level
Competition at HSC is stiffer and stiffer. The better grades you achieve the more likely you will join the best universities for further studies.
Here are a few things I would advise you to do to succeed your HSc:
1) Learn to say ‘no’ to friends when they tell you to go out every now and then. Of course you should strike the right balance between the two. All work and no play will make you a dull person. However you should plan your time, studies remain the priority.
2) Revise regularly, do summaries of your notes on a weekly basis, revise on a monthly basis as well, do summaries of summaries.
3) Avoid rote learning, understand the topic and the logic behind. It will serve you at university level
4) HSC is 95 per cent of your input, if you don’t work the teachers are no magicians
5) Learn to use the Examiner’s reports and marking scheme. This will give you the edge when you go for exams
6) Be attentive in class, this will save you part of the time to try to understand all by yourself
7) If you follow the above advice, you should succeed even without tuition. You should be dedicated.
8) Have some healthy leisure with some sports and so on.
9) For exams do not revise the day of the exam.
10) Learn to work in groups. By brainstorming together you will understand better.
11) Read a lot of magazines as the Economist, Newsweek and so on for your GP.
12) Be focused and go to the root of each question. Learn one text book thoroughly and do research work in others as well.
13) Do not miss classes unnecessarily, your teachers are there to help you, it’s up to you to ask questions when you don’t understand.
I will stop here and add a few more afterwards. You can add more if you want to or comment on this post